Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Session comes to an end

As I was preparing to leave Sterling I hesitated, aware that I would not be present for the summer season in Vermont for quite some time. I had a wonderful month but alas, all things must come to an end. I was one of the last students to leave, departing sometime around noon on Saturday, lingering for the last moments of who might appear and what might be. Touring the empty campus I realized something important. It is the people that make the place. Without them any place is as good as the next. What distinguishes Sterling is the caliber of self-reliant yet interdependent individuals who do not think twice to assert that all are welcome. Here are some pictures of my last few moments at Sterling. Even devoid of human activity, the evidence of creativity is not lost.

I love the Narwhals in the clouds


This quilt is from the year I first applied to this school


A good place to share a meal


As is this


And here


On the way out of town I stopped once more at the general store for some good honest conversation free from rushing and ignoring, no bluetooths, doors held and courtesies rendered, no pressing matters more important than connecting with your fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment