Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Foragin for Froggies

I was watching Swamp People on the History channel today and realized those people have something right. They make the best use of the resources available to them. Whether it be fishing for gators, catching snakes, hunting frogs, or noodling catfish, them Cajuns get by on what the land provides. Well shit I thought, I can do that. Around 3am I took my dog and gun and headed down to the Charles river. It didn't take long to follow the sound of a frog and spot him with my flashlight. A single shot from my air rifle was all it took. I snatched up the catch and Indy and I happily trotted home to reap the bounty.

Here's Indy with our catch


Indy investigating the kill


Slice off the legs, snip the feet, and peel off his drawers


A little Shake 'n' Bake and Cajun seasoning couldn't hurt


Fry em up in some olive oil and you're good to go


Looks and tastes like chicken, Delicious!


And good to the last bite


3 comments:

  1. there you go, now you're sounding like you are from Maine ... brook trout, mourning doves, froglegs and worms are the true diet of a woodsman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I have eaten all of those things except the mourning dove. You'll have to show me about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are delicious, all dark meat and they have a pretty meaty breast. Someday if you get me a mourning dove and pull the feathers out I will cook it up haha

    ReplyDelete